This is an un-assembled 1/152nd scale model kit of an Abbot that measures 38mm long, 18mm wide, and is 16mm high. It weighs 26g and consists of 11 parts that are made of lead-free pewter alloy.
In Service - 1963 through to the early 90's, but not used in the first Gulf War.
The Abbot was developed between 1958 and 1960 at the same time as the FV430 series which evolved into to the FV432 Armoured Personnel Carrier and shared many common components. However, there were some major differences such as a lower hull and a different power pack (engine) from the FV432.
The model has been made from photographs of Abbots at the Royal Artillery Wing of the Driver and Maintenance School at Bovington in Dorset in the late 1970s. At this time, the wading screens originally fitted around the hulls had been removed, but all vehicles still kept their track skirts. The main base in the UK for these vehicles was at the Royal School of Artillery at Larkhill on Salisbury Plain, although the majority of them were deployed with the British Army of the Rhine (BAOR) in Germany where they were deployed in support of the three Armoured Divisions.
Abbot was withdrawn from service by the British Army in 1994 as its 105mm gun was considered too small against an armoured assault.
Only one variant of the Abbot was produced, the so-called Value Engineered Abbot, that was built by Vickers for the Indian Army. This was a lower cost version with a number of different components. A small number of these vehicles were also purchased by the British Army for use at the British Army Training Unit Suffield (BATUS) in Canada where they were used together with the standard Abbots.